The Philosophy of Games
Would you like to hear your kid say “Mom, can I read my book for few more minutes?”, “Dad, can I keep on making my homework?”, “Granny, can I play the piano for a while”, “Grandfather, I want to play chess with you?” I guess that there are parents that enjoy the privilege of hearing these sentences, but for the common parent like me and you, it is not like that, at least not as often as we would like it.
If you ever thought about trying to play video games with your kids as a way to improve your family life (having “cool” parents) and their level of enrichment, you were probably pushed back when you saw that it is too complicated. You couldn’t handle the control, you didn’t like the violence, you didn’t understand what to do, and many other similar problems.
I’m writing this guide because I want to help you as parent step into the new brave world of electronic games. This world may seems to be reserved for heavy gamers only. These “odd Aliens” people are willing to waste many hours playing alone and piles of dollars for the most exciting and complex games, and they can easily find their way there. I believe that this is only one side of the picture and the other less known side of this world need some exploring and charting.
In this guide I often use the analogy of exploring a new land to start playing electronic games. I found many resemblances between these experiences. For example, the strange language, appearance, and behavior of the native gamers in the eyes of new comers can be easily compare to the encounter of the settlers in America and the native Americans. Fear, attraction, pettiness are all mixed together in that interaction.
Just like many of the people who came to the “new world” 400 years ago, I was also pushed to this recent “new world”. Most of the people who embarked on the ships from Europe left many problems behind, and were ready to suffer the rough beginning that waited them in America. I lost my wife when my son was just a 3 year old. I decided to take the ship to games world, hoping that it will make our life better. Some of the brave and insane people back in the past, found what they were hoping for, and opened the way to many others to a better world. I believe that I did the same. I spent many hours and some money exploring the electronic world with my son. We tried to travel in any direction that seems interesting and challenging. We met on the way many bad monsters (and I mean very bad games), but we also found many great treasures. Many of our friends returned after a short trip, other went too deep in one of the caves, but we continue to tour the world and learn its wonders and dangers. It is time that we draw the maps to allow you to follow us, and guide you to where you want to go. Staying back in the old world may seems conservative and safer, but you are missing the future that starts here. You know what is bad in the old world, and now you’ll know what is good in the new one, and how to avoid the dangers. The rumors that you heard about it are not from real travelers that want exactly what you want. The rumors are from people that stand on the deck, looking to the shore, fearing the local habitants, food and weather. Another type of rumors are coming from marketing people that are looking for people to fill their ships for their profits. The first rumors try to discourage you from going with tales of dangers, and the latter rumors promise you gold that grows on trees. I’ll provide you with the plain facts, detailed maps and good tips and let you find your own place to fulfil what you dream about your family and kids.
The challenge that I have now is more difficult from my past travels, I want to try and convince you that the new world really exists, and to help you see it for yourself.
Let’s start with the major questions about the electronic game’s world, and see if we can answer them.
No comments:
Post a Comment